JoyfulWorks

JoyfulWorks

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Empower Me! Prayer Series Introduction (Part 1 of 15)

Empower Me! Prayer: Introduction

P-R-A-Y-E-R...  

That word, and even just the thought of praying can be as nerve wracking as having to stand up and give a speech in front of thousands of people.  Yet, it doesn't have to that scary.  We will cover the topics below over the next two weeks of daily posts.

Why do many of us not pray?  
We often do not pray because we fear what we do not know, we fear failure, and we fear because we don't know how.  What we must realize is that fear is the opposite of faith.  Where there is fear, faith cannot reside.  So, how do we replace fear with faith?  


Crisis Prayers 
Last year, I was led to lead a 30-day challenge, asking people on facebook to pray for the missions work here in Asia, the ministry team, the church plant, and myself.  

Just before the event took place, I decided to take 10 days and go on a hiking trip to Lantau Island (home to an old fishing village) in Hong Kong.  The goal was to spend quiet time with God, and prepare a few messages for the event.  It was also a time to rest.  

Two days before the end of the vacation, while sleeping, something happened.  I was too exhausted to even get up out of bed that day.  Sounds crazy doesn't it.   Too exhausted - from resting?  I was scheduled to leave Saturday morning, but decided to leave Friday (the next day) to stop and visit a doctor I knew in Sai Kung, Hong Kong on my way home.  

I told the doctor about the problem, and a few times in the past where I had been seeing stars and dizzy.  He said it sounded like "silent strokes" and that I had possibly had a mini-stroke the day prior.  He advised that I return home (my home on the mission field) and see a doctor as soon as I could.

I knew that the earliest to see a doctor was on Monday.  So, I traveled home the next day (Saturday), and worked (multi-media and photographer) during Bible School and Sunday Service the next day.  That's when it happened.

I remember telling one of my teammates to take over, that I needed to go lay down.  The next thing I knew the service was over and I was leaving with the Pastor's wife to go home.  There were several flights of stairs and I was having much difficulty getting down them.  In the taxi home, I remember the Pastor's wife asking me what was wrong, because she said I was stuttering.  Hmmmm.... 

I ended up in a nearby International Hospital where they determined I had a stroke.  I was shocked because when I think of strokes I think of older people, not me.  Three weeks later, another stroke...this one worse than the last one.  
Why am I telling you this?  Most people only pray when there is a crisis situation in front of them.  This is when they reach out to God saying, "Help me."  

I am thankful that I did not do that.  I not only had been in prayer and speaking my faith regarding my health, but I had just scheduled people all over the world via Facebook to pray with me.  I was alone on that hiking trip.  Imagine what could have happened if not for the prayers of others at the moment.  Two strokes - but I am still alive and have greater vision and call regarding the people of Asia than ever before from God.  I came so close to death, that I can tell you exactly what death is like.  Where would I be if not for the prayers of these praying in the 30-day challenge at that moment?  How can a regular prayer life change your world?


What are the different kinds of prayer?
Different kinds of prayer?  We just ask and he gives, right?  There are many different kinds of prayer available to us.  Join us to see for yourself.


Answered Prayer
How do I talk to God?  What do I say?  How do I know He will answer my prayer?  What are the keys to answered prayer?  All great questions with answers available to us.




Stay tuned to this blog the next two weeks for answers to your fears and questions about prayer.  

What you will need:
  • Journal (for writing or picture note-taking --see other posts on this blog for Joy's visual note-taking and recording prayers and prayer requests.)
  • your bible

See you tomorrow,

joy neasley

No comments:

Post a Comment