JoyfulWorks

JoyfulWorks

Friday, March 21, 2014

Why pray? I'm not into that religious stuff. (Empower Me! Prayer Series 8 of 15)

Why pray?  I'm not into that religious stuff for show.  I want a real God, with real answers, and a real experience.



As a young child, there were many things my dad asked or told me to do, and I just did them because he said so.  I did not know why, but I knew to obey.  As I got older, I learned that everything my dad asked was for a good reason, and he would never ask me to do anything that was not in my (or my families) best interest.


As an adult, I have come to know God (my heavenly Father), as a child knows his/her dad.  As my Father, everything He has asked me to do (or not to do) has been for my benefit, or the benefit of the family (the body of Christ, my fellow believers).

What does my Father say about prayer?
  • "Pray for those who persecute you" –Matthew 5:44 (NIV) [1]
  • "And when you pray …" –Matthew 6:5
  • "This, then, is how you should pray …" –Matthew 6:9
  • "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." –Romans 12:12
  • "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests." –Ephesians 6:18
  • "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." –Philippians 4:6
  • "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." –Colossians 4:2
  • "Pray continually" -1 Thessalonians 5:17
  • "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone …" -1 Timothy 2:1
Why do I pray?  Because my DADDY (God) says so.  He loves me, and wants the best for me.  I trust Him, and know He is God.  


Prayer is not just a religious act.  It is talking and getting to know the One Who created you.  It is getting to know who God is:  What does He like?  What does He hate?  What does He want for me?  Why?  What pleases Him?  What makes Him happy?  Why does my Father love me?  Why does He take the time to do what He does for me?  

Prayer (and God's Word, which He will reveal to you) changes my world, questions answered that only God can share with you.  Talk to Him today.
"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."  Hebrews 4:15-16 

No comments:

Post a Comment