JoyfulWorks

JoyfulWorks

Monday, June 9, 2014

Missionary Misconceptions

There are many misconceptions about life as a missionary, life on the mission field, and life back in our home country when on furlough or returning permanently from the field.

One of these misconceptions being about the sacrifices missionaries make to go and stay on the mission field.  (Of course, these are based on my experience and the experience I know of missionary friends.)

Most missionaries from the USA, have lived in and left a comfortable home with all the modern conveniences.  They are use to owning private vehicles for transportation, and running to the grocery store or department stores on a whim when in need of something.  Most are use to a life-style that is fast, due to modern-technology delayed gratification is a thing of the past.  

On the mission field, I do sometimes miss the beautiful house with all the space, central air and heat, the modern appliances, and fast internet on all my electronic devices.  But, these are not the things I, and most missionaries, sacrificed. 

It is the people, family, we leave behind that we, as missionaries, sacrifice.  In my case, it was my adult children and grand-daughter.  It was also the close friends that I had build relationships like family with over the years. 

You may wonder, why?  In a day and age when Skype and other devices make things seem so close, why would I miss them?  Why would I consider it a sacrifice?  

While I share all those moments over the internet, it is not the same as being with them during their triumphs, their achievements, those special moments, and even when they hit a hard patch in life.  Not being there is the true sacrifice of the missionary, and the sacrifice their families left behind make also.  

Keep your missionary, or the missionaries your church supports in constant prayer.  You may even build a relationship with them through various means of partnership in which they offer to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment