JoyfulWorks

JoyfulWorks

Monday, June 15, 2015

Matthew 6: Empowering Children and Teens Today!

Matthew 6: Why Not?


Remember in Chapter 5 last week, I mentioned about the Law (the Old Covenant) and the New Covenant?  It is important to remember that one of the Bible’s most popular prayers, “The Lord's Prayer” is not a New Covenant prayer. 

It is a prayer given to Jesus’ disciples to pray at the time, a time when Christ was fulfilling prophecy and preparing to die on the Cross as He paid the price for our sins with His own blood through His death, burial, and resurrection. 

We can learn several principles of prayer from The Lord’s Prayer, but remember, it is an Old Covenant prayer.  One difference we see between the Old Covenant prayer and our New Covenant prayers today is “praying in the name of Jesus” (John 16:23) Notice in this verse in John, it says, “In that day”, meaning the New Covenant.  In The Lord’s Prayer the disciples prayed to the Father, “Our Father in Heaven” (Matthew 6:9)  They did not have the Holy Spirit living on the inside of them as we, believers, do today.

Isn’t it wonderful that once Jesus died, and rose again the Kingdom came (Luke 17:21).  We no longer have to pray for God’s Kingdom to come, it is within our hearts, that is, once a person has received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior (born again). 

Refer now to verse 13 of The Lord’s Prayer.  This is my personal favorite part of the prayer.  It says, “….But deliver us from the evil one.”  I am thankful every day, because we are delivered from the evil one, and redeemed from the curse of the law.  This was accomplished in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.  We do not need to ask for it, He has already finished it (John 19:30).  The devil is under our feet.

Then, why do so many still pray “deliver us from the evil one”, and succumbed to a lifestyle non-reflective of their deliverance in Christ?  As believers, we cannot believe in that which we do not know or understand.  I have read countless stories of people who lived a poor life on the streets or in shacks, but upon their death it was discovered they actually had money and a lot of it.  As we read His Word in the Bible and grow spiritually in Christ we learn and gain knowledge of what is rightfully ours as a born again member of the church in Christ. 

If I have a bank account someone gave me full of money, but I do not know it exists, the money does me no good.  If I do not know how to access the finances in it, the money does me no good.  If I do not feel that I deserve it, I might refuse to use it (pride and guilt).  Again, then the money does me no good. 
The same is true with the benefits of being a child of God.  If I do not know that there are benefits that I have in which I have access, then I cannot walk in them in Christ.  If I do not know what to do to access these benefits, then I cannot walk in them in Christ.  If I feel I am not worthy or deserving of these benefits, then I choose not to walk in them in Christ.

It is up to me, to open the bible and read what being a Christian (who I am) is, to learn about and access the benefits I have in Him.


We will revisit prayer again in John 16, and learn how we are to pray today.

No comments:

Post a Comment