JoyfulWorks

JoyfulWorks

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Connecting Children with God

I would like to introduce myself.  Over the past few months "Empowering Children Today" has grown in readership, and many may not know who I am, what the focus of this ministry is today, and where we are going?

My name is Joy Neasley, an American Missionary in Asia.  

I have worked and enjoyed children in both the secular (since 1988), and in children's ministry (since 1989) for roughly 25 years.  I began at the bottom and worked in many aspects of both sides. I have earned a CDA in Early Childhood Education, and later graduated Rhema Bible Training College (Missions Group) in 2007.


I have two adult children, a son-in-law, and a grand- daughter who all love to serve God in various aspects of helps ministry within their home churches. I am very blessed and pleased as a parent.

After first moving to Asia, I quickly became part of a great ministry (Dale Durant Ministries ddmi.asia ), under wonderful Pastors here.  Over the past three and a half years, I have seen the Gospel not only spread far in this country, but also at work itself within this ministry as both the foreign and the local team members have grown and enjoyed every step of Pastor Dale and Gloria Durant's vision here.  



Frankly, I love being a part of this team. They (both the foreign and the local members) have become family.  When I first arrived, I was actually thankful that Children's Ministry was not where they wanted me at the time, because I had worked in it for so long.  I have worked in almost every area of the ministry and church here, especially administrative and multimedia areas, since I have arrived. I have enjoyed it, and continue to love being a part of move of God here. I am an artist and photographer also, so where ever, and when ever I can add creativity within the work, I do.



Roughly a year ago, maybe a little more, I realized that I was being led back towards children ministry through my granddaughter.  God has led me to work on a small series of children's picture books based on character and who we are in Christ.  


This past year, several obstacles slowed the process of these books down, but the direction I was led has not changed.  It has, however, expanded.  The past six months, I have been led to begin "Empowering Children Today" Children's Ministry by creating leadership materials for the Asian people, "How to start a children's ministry" materials (tailored to the culture and needs of the church here), teacher/volunteer training modules, children's curriculum along with Children's Bibles (one for each of four age groups) for the local people in their own language.  




Being such a big vision, I have searched for assistance and materials to assist with the creation of this project and all it entails.  A few great people have offered their materials, that talents, and their time to bring this vision to pass:  



Richard Gunther ( http://www.gunther.net.nz/ , and http://www.mightymag.org/ ), Jill Kemp ( http://www.lambsongs.co.nz/ ), and Paul and Cheryl Reid ( http://www.beaconmedia.com.au/bm/ ).  There is possibly one more, and if he decides to assist himself or with materials he has already created, I will introduce him in the future.  

I am working on writing/creating the curriculum itself, and many of the other materials.  However, the work these guys have already done and have offered to do will greatly speed up the process and get these materials out to the people much quicker.  The materials offered and to be created are all in English and a few other translations, but have yet to be translated into the local language we need here in Asia.  Translation will be the second stage of the process.  




With the work these guys have already finished.  It will not be much longer and the assembly of a translation team will be necessary.  I say a team, because after watching over the years how materials are translated from English to the local language, it takes a team to translate, format, edit, and ensure that it is not just directly English translated .  It must be understood by the local culture, and tailored to the unique needs of the churches here in Asia for the materials to be useful to the people group in which it is intended.  This takes a full team, not one person to accomplish. 



Translation is a full-time job on a project as big as this one.  If you would like to assist with the costs of this project go to the GIVE tab at the top of this blog and follow the instructions.  Be sure to designate that you are specifically wanting the funds to go to "Empowering Children Today". Or click here: http://www.worldoutreach.org/donations, and in the drop down menu select "Joy Neasley - Asia".  

The curriculum itself is going to cover five age groups (ages 3-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14, and 15-17) and tailored to multi-aged, small children's ministry groups.   Each of the first four age groups will have take-home bible story cards, children's bible, or a preteen/teen bible.  

The Curriculum being created at the moment is a survey of the bible, Gen - Rev., and tentatively titled, "Discovered Treasure: Survey of the Bible." Eventually, there will be other forms (include the picture books I mentioned at the beginning) of the curriculum available also.  However, this is the direction we are being led to begin.  The plan is for it to take each age from Genesis through Revelation during the three years (each age group is three years).  

Click here. In scroll down menu,
select "Joy Neasley - Asia" .
The English side of the curriculum is going well, and I will begin to post more of it as it becomes concrete rather than rough draft. 

As soon as funding for supplies, work space, and a translation team are raised, the second part of the project (the translation process) will begin.  






Stay tuned for updates, or enroll in the newsletter at the top, right of this webpage to receive the updates straight into your inbox.  

No comments:

Post a Comment