JoyfulWorks

JoyfulWorks

Monday, May 6, 2013

Receiving the Call

The most common question I am asked, both in Asia and back home in America, is, "How do I know I am called by God as a missionary to Asia.  Some even ask why I cannot do the same thing in my own local community.  Why do I have to go to Asia to spread the Gospel when so many need it in America?

I do not remember a time when I did not know I am a missionary, even back in the B.C. days of my life. Over the years, I do wonder how that could be, because the path in front of me did not seem to point in that direction (at least in the natural) for so many years.  Even though I did mention it to others a few times, I knew my children was  a priority, and I was very content with owning and running a daycare (JoyfulWorks Childrens' Discovery Center), ministering to families, and assisting church planters in the various places in which our military lifestyle took us as we traveled overseas and in the USA. 

photo credit:
http://www.asiaonline.com.au/regions.html

To make a very long story short, in 2005 I distinctly heard that it was time to prepare to go.  I did not know where at that time, and had actually thought maybe Honduras or Spain would be the direction.  Through doors that only God opened up, I attended to Rhema Bible Training College in their Missions Group for the preparation. 







Just before leaving to attend RBTC, my daughter and I visited a local zoo in Nashville.  There standing in front of the Red Pandas from China, I immediately knew that God was calling me to Asia.  Honestly, I did not know how to react.  I previously had created a list of potential places I desired to go that I knew my kids would like to follow me.  Asia was not only not on the list, it was allocated as one of my "no, don't want to go" places.  
Photo Credit:
Photo by Greg Hume http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RedPandaFullBody.JPG
I did tell my children, but I had decided it best to shelve this information, and take a wait and see approach (like God was really going to change His mind...LOL!).  As a result, I decided to share only the plans to attend Rhema in preparations for full-time ministry.  

While at Rhema in the mission’s program for two years, my Pastor (a female) married.  I did not really know the new Pastor, however my children quickly came to know him because of their relationship with their children..  

A few months before I graduated, I wrote a letter to the explaining that I was called and planning to
go to Asia.  I did not know the Pastors had just been asked by one of their connections in Sweden if they had someone who would like to help them start a bible school in Asia.  When I came back, they told me about it, and I said yes.

The waiting process as I finished putting "my house" in order so I could make the move proved difficult.   I did not belong there anymore, because my place is among the people of Asia.  This is where I properly fit  into the Body of Christ.  It is where I belong, where I am happy and at peace, where the anointing (gifts and calling) on my life are at its best.  

My home is Asia.  Yes, I miss my kids. Yes, I miss my granddaughter.  Yes, I miss the families that I invested my life into as a foster parent and with the daycare for all those years.  However, I know without a doubt that my home is here with the Asian people.

Photo credit:
http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2010/07/timing-is-everything.html

I write this today, because maybe you are one of the ones who needed to be patient and wait for the right timing to step into God's call for your life.  This does not discount the time you spend in preparation now.  

However, you may know you are called, and want to jump now.  Don't jump until He says it is time to jump, regardless of how simple or how difficult the call.  Do not move until He says move.

When you do so, in His perfect timing, the pieces will not only fall into place, but you will be within the grace and the anointing necessary to fulfill the call.  

No comments:

Post a Comment