JoyfulWorks

JoyfulWorks

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Who Am I? I Am Walking.

You Don't Have to Like Everything in the Bible.*
There are some things in the Bible that I don't particularly like, and that's OK.  God never told us we had to like everything, but He did encourage us to do what He said because it's the best way to live.  Notice I said best, not easiest.  I've found a lot of verses in the Bible that I just want to rip out!  I'm not going to lie about it.   Here are a few that come to mind...
"Vengence is mine, sayeth the Lord."  NO!  Let it be mine.  You take too long, God!
"Love your neighbor..."  You know you feel the same way about this one...you may not even like your neighbor!
"...Bless those that curse you."  Have you ever been cursed out?  Afterward, you don't say, "I'm going to bless that guy with $20!  I'm going to put it in his hand just as soon as he stops giving me sign language!" 
"Pray for those that despitefully use you..."  Has anybody ever ripped you off on purpose?  Imagine one day, your husband comes running in and says, "Honey, our friends just ripped us off!  Isn't that wonderful?  Let's pray for them!"
Even the disciples of Jesus wrestled with this one thinking:  How many times do I have to forgive this jerk of a brother I've got in a day?!  When Jesus told them to forgive seventy times seven, their brains tilted and all they could say was, "Lord, increase our faith!" (Luke 17:5)*  
 *(Above quote is an excerpt from "Distortion: The Vanity of Genetically Altered Christianity" by Jesse Duplantis.)


Photo credit:
http://daynabickham.com/real-love/
Yes there are many scriptures in the Bible that rub our flesh the wrong way.  Our flesh would rather react emotionally, than with LOVE.

How does a Christian go from reacting contrary to God's Word, to walking in Love and Obedience to the Word?  

We cannot do it alone.  However, you will be amazed at the change in your life, once you do.  

The day you accepted Christ you actually became a new creation.  One with a God nature.  
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Corinthinas 2:5-7
However, our minds and emotions require renewal, and our bodies are to be brought into subjection. Diving into God's Word is the answer.  The Bible, the Word of God provides life, answers, direction, power, and so much more.  
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:2
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.  1 Corinthians 9:27
God's Word is full of Life.  Feeding on it and applying what it says by Grace and Through Faith brings renewal (Life) to your mind.  

My Pastor once said, "Words are containers of thoughts."  Change the Words, change the thoughts.  Thus, changing the way we think. 

Over time people will begin to see an outward change resulting from the inward changes that have taken place.   Walking in Love will become who you are, a way of life.  Your first reactions in situations similar to the ones mentioned at the beginning of today's devotional become a reflection of Christ within you, the new creature you became the day you received Jesus as your Lord and Savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment